Authors: Article Submission Guidelines
Authors…this is your opportunity to get free advertisement for your self-published or independently published (e.g., small press) historical romance novel! Please be sure to read ALL our guidelines below.
Romance Through Time, for the time being, is a quarterly magazine. Like most magazines, our deadlines for articles are three (3) months prior to publication. Below are the submission deadlines for each issue:
- Spring Issue (February 1st) – Submissions Deadline: November 1st
- Summer Issue (May 1st) – Submissions Deadline: February 1st
- Autumn Issue (August 1st) – Submissions Deadline: May 1st
- Winter Issue (November 1st) – Submissions Deadline: August 1st
We’re looking for articles that elicit an emotional response from readers. We want the topics to make them say, “Ooo! How interesting! I never knew that!” Lovers of historical romance read this genre for the romance and especially for the history. We want the same response from them through our articles so our magazine will be something readers will look forward to every issue.
We want authors to answer this question: What little tidbit of information did you learn when you did research for your book? That’s what your article should be about.
The important thing to remember: You’re writing an article about a TOPIC…NOT about your book or how that topic inspired you. We’re looking for non-fiction articles that cover one of the following topics. However, ideas are NOT limited to these. If it’s historical and it’s somehow connected to your book, allow us to consider it. Though this list is not exhaustive, it should stimulate ideas:
- Costuming – Anything having to do with clothing from the past, from what people wore from various time periods to how they wore them, including the evolution of past garments.
- Architecture & Furnishings – Articles revolving around the homes people lived in throughout time, how they were built and furnished to how they maintained their households.
- Modes of Transportation – From horse-drawn carriages, motor cars and bicycles to traveling caravans, beasts of burden and walking on foot, articles that cover how people of history moved around are of interest.
- Society – Whether it’s courtship and marriage , occupations and trade-skills, etiquette and manners, or social classes, these articles will cover the varying elements of social customs throughout time.
- Entertainment & Cuisine – Tea time, parlor games, supper, Medieval feasts, or fare for a ball! Articles should share the various customs for entertainment, preparation and/or recipes of the past.
- Etymology – Discover some interesting facts about the words your characters said in your historical romance? Couldn’t use a word because it hadn’t existed yet? Articles that explore the history of words falls into this category.
Manuscript Submission Guidelines
We accept electronic submissions ONLY. Send a query letter to query (at) mysticalpress (dot) com and be sure to include “QUERY – ROMANCE THROUGH TIME” in the subject line if our link here did not do that for you.
Article length: 250-400 words (we are NOT accepting flash fiction, short stories or excerpts at this time – non-fiction articles ONLY)
Article format: Please include your article in the body of your e-mail following your query letter. E-MAILS WITH ATTACHMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
Please be sure to include the following in your query letter:
- Name of the novel you wish to feature, and please include buy-links.
- If your novel has not yet been released, please provide the release date and “back of the book blurb”. If it’s published, we’ll view that information online.
- A brief description of your article and how it ties into your novel/novella.
- The actual article you wish to submit (in the body of the e-mail below your signature block).
If we are interested in your article, we will contact you with further instructions. Please allow up to three (3) months for a reply. We do our best to respond to each submission, but it does take time. Thank you for your patience.
Though we would LOVE to pay our authors with cash compensation for submitted articles, we are not able to do so at this time. But, as we grow, this is our goal. At present, we provide compensation to authors through the tie-in with their novels. All articles will include the cover of the author’s featured book, buy links and a short blurb about the book. If you intrigue readers with your article, they will be enticed to buy your book.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at publish (at) mysticalpress (dot) com.